SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) really isn’t my thing. I like to get my hands dirty with code. But every now and then (not often enough for me to remember anything of what I’ve previously done) I have to bite the bullet and open an SSIS package in Visual Studio.
Today has been one of those days.
The goal of the package was simple: to import the contents of two CSV files from a network share into two database tables on a SQL Server. After a day of struggling to reason why I was getting various “Access is denied” and “The file … does not exist” error messages, I finally discovered this blog post that helped to clear the mist.
Bingo! I now have a package with two Sequence Containers with green execution results.
Since the roll out of Internet Explorer 10, our users were having trouble whenever they attempted to give someone access to their SharePoint 2010 area via the Grant Permissions dialog. Whenever they clicked the Browse icon, they’d receive a “An unexpected error has occurred” message.
One solution that seemed to solve this issue was to add the domain of the SharePoint site into the browser’s Compatibility View Settings – but that would effect all sites using the domain (including non-SharePoint sites).
While researching the issue I found a suggestion that it could be corrected by appending a META tag to one of the MasterPages.
Normally I wouldn’t dare edit one of the SharePoint core files, but as this was effecting so many users and we’ll be migrating to SharePoint 2013 in the near future, the benefits outweighed the risks.
Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS and locate the pickerdialog.master file.
Immediately after the opening HEAD tag, insert the following line: <meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=EmulateIE8″ />
The changes appear to have resolved the issue completely.
SharePoint 2013 has introduced a small Focus on Content icon to the ribbon bar which, for the MasterPages that support it, will show and hide portions of the page when clicked. This can be useful for hiding non-essential page elements.
It creates a cookie, so the selection is remembered the next time the page is visited.
It adds a new ms-fullscreenmode class to the page’s BODY tag.
So, via CSS, we can decide which elements of the page should be hidden via the Focus on Content functionality.
Along with the introduction of rate limits and ditching support for RSS as a response format, API v1.1 has implemented OAuth 2.0 for its authentication. Its not the most straight-forward thing to get your head around, but I found a useful post on CodeForest that helped me to update my own WordPress widgets.
Now, this is an issue I’ve stumbled across while putting together CSS for websites.
You have two elements, one nested within the other, and both have rounded borders. Unless you get the radius of the nested element just right, you’ll end up with a nasty looking ‘hump’ where there should be a nice smooth curve (See Chris Coyier’s post for a visual example).
When wanting to programmatically hide a WebPart, don’t try to set it’s Visible property to False. This will cause you lots of trouble and create errrors. The correct method is to set its Hidden property to True.
if (items.Count == 0)
this.Hidden = true;